Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Calm Before The...

In 10 days it will be one year since I woke up on my good friend's couch 2 a man charging through the front door. The next clear moment I had was raising my head above the sink. A few moments ago I was finishing an article I've been putting off and I heard a sound outside my window. I went downstairs, open the front door, walked 2 my office window, looked around, "is there anyone out here?", all of this as natural as if I was putting on shoes. A few weeks ago around 4:00 a.m. there was a knock at my front door. My dog automatically jumped from the bed and ran 2 the front door. I opened the door, looked right, looked left, yelled at Charlie 2 come back inside. Both episodes were probably animals, maybe the few random dogs that roam the neighborhood freely. My dog is 2 lazy and friendly 2 provide any protection (he takes after his old man). I have no intentions of painting a tough image for myself, primarily to avoid anyone relying on me for physical safety. The lesson reached from last year's experience is that rare susceptibility 2 misplaced physical harm is weak when contrast with everyone's frequent susceptibility to emotional harm. Place your fear carefully.


No comments: