Thursday, February 22, 2007

Moving on...

Next week I'll be on vacation. Sweet desert air. Nothing but morning/evening walks, eating, sleeping, and READING.

I should have enough time 2 get through 2 or 3 books.

I'll be finished with The Assassins Gate in the next few days. I couldn't have asked for a better wholistic view of the Iraq War. Never did I plan on having this much knowledge of the situation. Though there is no clear answer on the steps we need 2 take the book has prepared me 2 recognize and promote the best pragmatic initiatives that arise.

I am thinking the first book 2 read on vacation will be Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins or A Game As Old As Empire: The Secret World of Economic Hit Men and the Web of Global Corruption edited by Stephen Hiatt.

This interest was spurred by some research I had been doing for an organization I volunteer with. Some documents I was reading through kept referencing the U.S. Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC). The more reading I did the more concern grew. Here is a statement straight from the State Departments website.

Three years after it was established, the U.S. Millennium ChallengeCorporation
(MCC) has evolved into a major factor in the developing world inmotivating
countries to adopt economic, political and social reforms, says theagency's
chief executive officer.


I also promised myself I would follow the mantra 'think globally, act locally' so I have printed off and copied a notebook worth of articles and reports concerning local issues.



No comments: